June 28, 2008

The counter becomes a clock



















































Hi everyone,
Finally, I was able to have some time to continue slowly on my clock project. Up until recently, it was actually a counter from 00-99, incrementing every second or in its original form, manually. I was finally able to add the 74ls08 to it, so it would reset after the second '192 reaches 6, the B&C output that represent the binary 6 are on the input of the AND gate, of which resets the second counter. For those that don't know, six in binary is "0110". You can see the "truth" table in my previous post.

These images are pre-74ls08
Yes, at the moment, I am using a battery pack. The 78M05 does not have any additional circuitry, like capacitors etc. Its output goes to a special chip (TPS7350 - up to 500mA continuous 8 pin DIP made by T.I.) that regulates to exactly 5v.
On the small board is the timing circuitry. On the larger one, is the power and logic. The single digit by itslef is an INL0394 by Innocor that is pin compatible to a TIL311. The other two are HP 5082-7300. The Innocor is still available and the HP has been updated and is still available too. Both these parts are fairly expensive, since they also include an I.C. that has the same functionality as a BCD to 7-Segment driver. I will try to use a different camera and settings next time, since the images do NOT do justice to the displays. They are much better looking than normal 7 Segment displays.

The oscillator may change later for a device from Dallas-Maxim that gives 32768Hz, and much more stable, or it is suppose to be. Here is a link for it. The part number is:
DS32kHz I will try it, if and when I receive a sample from them, since I can not find it here easily in Australia.

The circuit works something like this.
On the big board.
Power->Bring down to under 10v. ->Power 5v. ->(Original circuit up down manual counter)->MC14490 debouncer for switches. 3 switches. Black reset, White increment, yellow decrease.
Small circuit.
Power in-> CD4060 (could be any type of the 4060)->crystal 32768Hz (or 32.768KHz)-> with support circuitry->from CD4060 2Hz out -> CD4013->1Hz out-> to large board to the UP input of the 1st 74LS192.

The 74LS192's are connected in such a way, that if needed, they can also count backwards (down).

In the later stages, the circuit will start being built on proto-boards and small ones of those. I will update with pictures again, once that stage is reached. At the moment, I will add the minute and then I will move the project over to new breadboards with a neater layout. Once that is completed, I will post pictures again.

For the moment, I will be taking it easy, due to my lower back problem. It has gotten worse, and now I have been diagnosed with "L4/5 central spinal canal stenosis". So i must be relaxing.

Until my next update.

No comments: